Whether you’ve got a few items you’d like to clear out of your way, or a tiny apartment with no place to store extra things, a storage unit can be a great way to clear out items you only want maybe a few times a year. When looking for an appropriate facility, San Francisco storage options are everywhere. But what do you do once you’ve found the facility you’re happy with? Where do you go next?
Below are a few helpful tips to help you pack your items to last in your storage facility:
- Use the right size. When packing up your items, pick the right size box for your needs. Heavy items such as books should be packed in smaller boxes, for easier transport. Fill large boxes with light items such as blankets and pillows. The heaviest items in a box should always be at the bottom.
- Label everything. There is nothing more frustrating than going to your unit to find one specific item, just to realize you have no idea which box it’s in. Put very specific labels on your boxes. After all, you’re only storing your stuff until you need it again. You’ll want to be able to find it when you do. Be sure to label anything as fragile for extra care during transport.
- Tape it up. Good quality packing tape is very important during your move. If your tape breaks loose, so will plenty of your items. You don’t want a mess all over your unit. Invest in a good quality tape that will stay where you put it.
- Don’t use garbage bags. Garbage bags may seem cheaper and easier when you’re moving, but anything you put in a garbage bag may very well become garbage. Dust, insects, and unwanted smells leech into your bagged items much easier than the boxed ones. Take care of your items and put them in a proper box for storage.
- Condense where you can. If you’ve got larger items to store such as bed frames, tables, or desks, they will store much more compactly if you break them down. Put any hardware that goes to the furniture in a plastic bag. Label it, and tape it to the broken down furniture for easy reassembly whenever you need it!
- Hang up your clothes. If you need to store clothes, get a wardrobe box. You can hang any clothes you’d like, and they’ll be wrinkle-free and ready to go whenever you need them!